I am an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at the University of Toronto. I direct the Third Space research group at the DGP Lab. I am also a graduate faculty member of the School of Environment at UofT.
My research interest is situated at the intersection of computer science and the critical social sciences. My work is often motivated by social justice and sustainability issues, and I put them in the academic contexts of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) and Information and Communication Technology and Development (ICTD). I operate through a wide range of technical and methodological apparatuses from ethnography to design, and from NLP to tangible user interface.
I earned my PhD from Cornell University, where I was advised by Steve Jackson. Before moving to North America, I studied and taught Computer Science at Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET). I developed and still mentor the first HCI community in Bangladesh.
I am a Centennial Fellow ('19), a Connaught Awardee ('18), a Fulbright Fellow ('11), and an OpenStreetMap Scholar ('10).
Recent Highlights: (see all news here)
* May '20: We got 1 paper and 1 note accepted to ACM COMPASS 2020!
* Apr '20: Our proposal on reducing stigma around COVID-19 got funded by CIHR!
* Apr '20: Our proposal on protecting the heritage of immigrants got funded by SSHRC NFRF!
* Mar '20: Both of our papers got Best Paper Honorable Mention Awards in CHI 2020!
In Public Press:
* May '20: Op-ed (Daily Star): "COVID-19 and the economization of life in Bangladesh"
* Apr '20: Op-ed (Prothom Alo): "করোনা মোকাবিলা: ডেটানির্ভর প্রযুক্তি ও ব্যক্তিগত তথ্য নিরাপত্তা"
* Apr '20: Talk Show Interview on Ekattor TV on COVID19. [Link]