Department of Computer Science
University of Toronto
Room: 5262, 40 Saint George St, Toronto, ON M5S 2E4
Email: ishtiaque [at] cs [dot] toronto [dot] edu
[CV] [Google Scholar] [DBLP] [Calendar]
I am an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at the University of Toronto. I direct the Third Space research group at the DGP Lab. I am also a graduate faculty member of the School of Environment, a Faculty Fellow at the Schwartz Reisman Institute for Technology and Society, and a Senior Fellow at the Massey College.
I co-organize the monthly UofT Critical Computing Seminar that hosts speakers analyzing computer science and its applications from the perspectives of marginalization, bias, and oppression. I co-direct the PRISM program at the CS Department that trains students from marginalized communities for higher education in computer science. I also lead the weekly Critical Data Science reading group that studies and analyzes recent scholarly work around AI and Machine Learning from various critical points of view.
My research interest is situated at the intersection of computer science and the critical social sciences. My work is often motivated by social justice and sustainability issues, and I put them in the academic contexts of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) and Information and Communication Technology and Development (ICTD). I operate through a wide range of technical and methodological apparatuses from ethnography to design, and from NLP to tangible user interface.
I earned my PhD at Cornell University, where I was advised by Steve Jackson. Before moving to North America, I studied and taught Computer Science at Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET). I developed and still mentor the first HCI community in Bangladesh.
I am a Schwartz Reisman Institute Faculty Fellow ('21), Senior Massey Fellow ('21), Fulbright Centennial Fellow ('19), a Connaught Scholar ('18), a Fulbright S&T Fellow ('11), and an OpenStreetMap Scholar ('10). My current research is supported by all three divisions of Canada's federal tri-council research agency: NSERC, CIHR, and SSHRC, among others.
I am the Program Committee Chair for ICTD 2022 and IndiaHCI 2022.
Recent Highlights: (see all news here)
* Mar '22: Talk at UofT Moral Code hackathon
* Feb '22: Talk at UofT Ethical Principles in AI Team [Link]
* Feb '22: Interview with Canada School of Public Service
* Jan '22: Talk at SRI! [Link]
* Jan '22: Talk at CHIWORK! [Link]
* Nov '21: Facebook Research Award on Digital Privacy!
In Public Press:
* Mar '21: Interaction article, "Designing with Internally Displaced Slum Dwellers in Bangladesh"
* Sep '20: (IIE Centennial Blog): Repairing and Recycling of Digital Electronics during COVID-19
* Sep '20: Blog post (ACM Interactions): "Fighting Coronavirus with Faith"
* May '20: Op-ed (Daily Star): "COVID-19 and the economization of life in Bangladesh"
* Apr '20: Op-ed (Prothom Alo): "করোনা মোকাবিলা: ডেটানির্ভর প্রযুক্তি ও ব্যক্তিগত তথ্য নিরাপত্তা"
* Apr '20: Talk Show Interview on Ekattor TV on COVID19. [Link]